Every now and then, we like to make pancakes as a special treat. I googled and found this recipe and it has worked perfectly for me. It’s both grain free and dairy free.We turn it into a family affair, and everyone enjoys being involved. They take a while to cook up, especially if you make a double batch like we usually do. But it’s a simple and delicious meal.
We like to top our coconut pancakes with homemade applesauce, butter and honey, or real maple syrup if we can get our hands on it.
Here’s the recipe if you want to try it:
FLUFFY COCONUT FLOUR PANCAKES
(makes around 20)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- coconut oil or butter for frying
- Preheat griddle over medium-low heat. In a small bowl beat eggs until frothy, about two minutes. Mix in milk, vanilla, and honey.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine coconut flour, baking soda, and sea salt and whisk together. Stir 3/4 of wet mixture into dry until coconut flour is incorporated. Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- At this stage your batter should be thick, almost like brownie batter. If it is still fairly thick and dry add the rest of the wet mixture.
- Grease pan with butter or coconut oil. Ladle a few tablespoons of batter into pan for each pancake. Spread out slightly with the back of a spoon. The pancakes should be 2-3 inches in diameter and fairly thick. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until the tops dry out slightly and the bottoms start to brown. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with butter, coconut oil, honey, syrup, or fruit.
You can read a bit more about my experience with Paleo eating here.
Have you made any good recipes lately?